The mission of Safe Zone is to foster an atmosphere of support and celebration of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, and Questioning individuals on the WVU campus. This program is co-sponsored by the West Virginia University Council on Sexual Orientation, the Carruth Center for Counseling and Psychological Services, and the Division for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Safe Zone provides students, faculty, and staff with access to more easily discernible individuals who are available to provide support and knowledge. The goals of the program include:
- Create a campus culture and climate that is more welcoming to and affirming of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students, faculty and staff and their families.
- Establish a university-wide network of visible allies and mentors who can provide support, information and assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students, faculty and staff.
- Provide lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning campus members comfortable access to trustworthy, knowledgeable and sensitive people who can provide a safe and non-discriminatory environment.
- Provide an opportunity for WVU students, faculty and staff to demonstrate their support for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning.
- Provide all on-campus students an opportunity to respond to instances of discrimination and harassment based on perceived or self-reported sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
- Educate members of the University community on the needs and concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students.
- Foster a campus atmosphere which supports the academic and professional success of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students, as well as their personal and social growth.
- Advance the University’s progress towards a campus that discourages discrimination and openly celebrates diversity.
WVU’s Safe Zone symbol is a visual message to all that a campus community member has participated in Safe Zone training and is committed to fostering an atmosphere of support and celebration of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning individuals on the WVU campus.
For questions or to schedule a SAFE Zone Training, contact:
T. Anne Hawkins